LOVES WAR

    Love is one of the emotions that make us humans, it is who and what we truly are and where we should be going in this life, even though love is only just a four-letter word it is a very complex one. It means so many things to so many people I think it has gotten lost over translation and time, love is not a word that you throw out there because we have all been conditioned to repeat it back as if we were parrots, For example, there are so many different types, and meanings from a whole lot of feelings which will keep you continuously reeling like the love between to star-cross lovers, between a mother and her son, between a brother and sister, don't forget the one between a dog and his master, even my love of early morning spring baseball game a hot dog and beer with all four of my sons on opening day for the LA Dodgers the one from a first kiss or last it is the greatest feeling you will ever feel when we fall in love yet so painful when we fall out love, always remember what Pat Benatar sang "Love is a battlefield" 

Loves war

Goodnight sweetheart I hope that you sleep 
alright and when you finally, close your eyes 
and start to dream tonight it is one of 
sunny white beaches and clear warm waters that are 
as green and bright as those sparkles the once 
lit up those beautiful eyes. I also want you to 
know that I will always and forever remember 
that day just like it was only yesterday when we 
had our first kiss when we acted like there was 
nobody else around, when I first asked you for 
permission then without any kind of hesitation 
you looked deeply into my eyes and said "yes, oh yes", 
then our lips came together at that very moment when
time and all it is many movements slowed to 
a crawl then the lightning flashed and thunder roared
that is when we found ourselves standing at 
the precibus of me and you yet hanging off the edge 
of insanity for what may come you and I realized 
that we were actually in very real reality, 
paralyzed while very petrified with love 
that is kind of scared us, but that did not stop 
us from walking down the aisle while listening 
to the sounds of our wedding bells.
But that was then and this is now here we are today 
both injured with lies of the bedroom kind beat 
down bruised and scared by the many battles from all 
our wars year after year in all of the arguments of 
where we have been, and what we have heard or seen, 
or done while trying so hard to find out just what 
it is that we have become while learning who we both 
are, just like two combat soldiers from different sides 
coming home from a brutal and bloody war, neither side 
declared a winner, beaten down by each other and 
bruised and tired from fighting what is 
called "LOVES WAR." 

I have for some unknown reason always felt it in 
my heart and deep down inside of my soul how much 
that I loved you, just as I know that you 
have also in your way loved me, but it has always 
been at different times than I was or in two separate 
places and that my dear is the one thing I know we 
both can always agree. It is so blatantly obvious 
to everyone around us that we have always for
some unknown reason loved to hate each 
other, despite how many times we have come back 
together and now we even hate to love one another, 
so now we just go back and forth like two 
heavyweight fighters who are locked 
away in a cage while going round after round
until we are both on the ground worn out tired 
being pounded again and again by a love that is 
blind. So, instead, let us both throw up the white 
flag together then call a truce and not go on any 
further and declare that this "LOVES WAR," is 
now over, then turn and walk away if we can even 
walk anywhere at all, let us declare that 
we have finally come to the final realization in our
ongoing dedication to the night time mediation 
that our two sides our hearts and souls will never 
again get along or agree and when all the smoke 
has finally cleared while the last of the words are 
never heard, I just want you to know and try very hard 
to understand that I am not angry about who started 
what or why it was done or even said, for I will 
always remember without a doubt that evening when 
you and I heard all the voices from deep inside of us
then saw the fireworks from our hearts and 
places unknown in our souls, from that 
the very first kiss to the last one that we shall 
forevermore ever know.

Poet Richard M Knittle Jr.
A Poet's Journey
Texas Poet Laureate Nominee 2016-2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love you more

Help

When I close my eyes