As I drive to work today

As I drive to work today

As I drive to work today tears will fall 
streaming down my pale tired face
why you say? Well because they do 
that every day, they fall for lost loves 
of my past and happiness that never 
last for all my sons I hold so dear and 
a future bleak that I now fear even the 
thought that I will die alone when I 
knock there is no one home I cry for 
sorrow and deep regrets for good 
friends I lost and will never forget, 
or a son that is not mine whom I 
searched forever and could not find 
I cry for the homeless ones now on 
the streets and dying addicts I will 
never meet for truth and justice that 
never come and innocence lost to 
some is that the answer that you seek 
because those reasons are just a peek
for peace and strength no longer mine 
and the will to live I cannot find
a battle lost that took its toll as the 
darkness came and destroyed my 
soul a heart that is broken beyond 
repair that is filled with anger and much 
despair for a love whose heart will 
never be mine yet I wait until the end 
of time I have many reasons why I cry 
and yet you asked me the question why
I wonder if I died would anyone care 
or am I alone in my dark despair
will other tears fall when they bury me 
or am I just a lost memory my tears 
fall for many things like wars unjust and 
what they bring to babies born to 
parents lost who will never know the 
price it cost
the loneliness that I feel as I live a life 
that so surreal I am ready now I am 
all alone I cry for god to take me home

Poet Richard M Knittle Jr.
A Poet's Journey
Texas Poet Laureate Nominee 2016-2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I love you more

Help

Old songs